At the cidb, we are passionate about skills development in the construction industry. Our passion for development comes across most evidently in our youth skills development initiatives such as WorldSkills, helping to shape South Africa’s up and coming as well as the country’s future.
The WorldSkills International Competition brings together youth from no less than 64 countries to compete for best of the best in various vocational skills each year. WorldSkills increases the visibility, prestige, quality, and popularity of trade skills among learners trained at TVET colleges.
South Africa’s participation in various skills across all sectors of the economy is spearheaded by WorldSkills South Africa.
As the cidb, we are mandated to promote transformation and skills development in the South African construction industry. We have supported the preparations of bricklaying competitors in WorldSkills National and International competitions in Abu Dhabi in 2017, Russia in 2019 and at the most recent WorldSkills Africa competition, held in Swakopmund Namibia. Team South Africa participated in 14 skills and were awarded:
- Gold in the bricklaying
- Gold in plumbing
- Gold in automotive technology
- Gold in hairdressing
- Gold in fashion technology
- Silver in mechatronics
- Silver in cooking
- Bronze in web technology
- Mihle Mvelakubi represented South Africa in the 2017 WorldSkills bricklaying competition in Abu Dhabi
- Mncedisi Mkhaliphi represented South Africa in the 2019 WorldSkills bricklaying competition in Russia
- Phindile Mngadi represented South Africa in the 2019 WorldSkills electrical installations competition in Russia
- Keagan Lucas represented South Africa in the 2019 WorldSkills plumbing and heating competition in Russia
- Mr Lungelwa Mtetwa represented South Africa in 2022 in Swakopmund, Namibia and received gold in the bricklaying competition