|Standard for Uniformity in Construction Procurement and Best Practice Guidelines|
The Standard for Uniformity in Construction Procurement establishes minimum requirements that:
- promote cost efficiencies through the adoption of a uniform structure for procurement documents, standard component documents and generic solicitation procedures;
- provide transparent, fair and equitable procurement methods and procedures in critical areas in the solicitation process;
- ensure that the forms of contract that are used are fair and equitable for all the parties to a contract; and
- enable risk, responsibilities and obligations to be clearly identified.
The Standard establishes a uniform framework for procurement and minimum requirements for:
- the solicitation of tender offers;
- the manner in which quality is to be incorporated in procurement documents;
- the formatting and compilation of procurement documents;
- the application of the register of contractors to public sector contracts.
The Standard requires that specific standard forms of contracts be used, with minimal project specific variations and additions which do not change their intended usage, and that procurement documentation be compiled and formatted in a uniform manner.
The Standard Conditions of Tender contained in the Standard impose obligations on the tenderer and require employers to conduct the process of offer and acceptance in terms of a set of standard procedures. At the same time, these conditions of tender integrate aspects of the cidb Code of Conduct with the procurement process.
The Standard in addition establishes a number of generic procurement procedures and requires that all supplies, services (including professional services) and works relating to the construction industry be solicited in accordance with standard methods and within certain parameters.
The Standard also identifies the best practice guidelines published by the cidb, the South African Institution of Civil Engineering and Standards South Africa that enable and facilitate the minimum requirements to be complied with.